(GF, DF, Whole 30 approved)
I consider most bars to be glorified candy bars. With artificial sweeteners, binders, and ingredients you cannot pronounce; it is incredibly hard to navigate this aisle in the grocery store without feeling overwhelmed. Here is a simple homemade protein bar that is allergen friendly and wholesome.
There are great before a workout because they provide quick dense energy with some protein and healthy fats.
- 18-20 organic Medjool dates
- 1.5 cup trader Joe’s roasted unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup trader Joe’s roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp fresh chopped vanilla bean or vanilla flavor
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- In a food processor or blender, blend the dates and optional ingredients if you choose until the dates form a paste.
- Add the seeds slowly, mixing with a spoon to keep the blade from getting stuck. I like to leave some of the seeds unchopped for some extra crunch, but the more you blend the easier they will stick together.
To make balls (24 balls):
Scoop out the mixture and roll into balls using your hands. Store in the fridge or freezer for a refreshing treat.
Nutrition Facts (1 ball): Calories 110; Carbohydrates 15 grams; Fat 5 grams; Protein 3 grams.
To make bars (8 total):
Scoop out the mixture and press evenly into a Tupperware and place in the freezer to Harden. After about 1 hour, take the Tupperware out and use a fork to loosen up the sizes of the mixture which should be one solid square or rectangle. Place it on a cutting board and use a knife to cut it into bars. This recipe makes about 6 medium size bars.
Nutrition Facts (1 bar): Calories 330; Carbohydrates 45 grams; Fat 16 grams; Protein 10 grams.